How the Blended Classroom Benefits Students and Professors: Creating and Using Effective Videos in Your Class
When: March 4, 12:00pm – 1:30pm
Where: Ruffato Hall Commons (KRH 106)
Presenter: Aaron Dewald
Blended learning environments combine the best of the face-to-face and online learning spaces to optimize student learning and engagement. The Modern Learning Committee at the Sturm College of Law and the Office of Teaching and Learning at the University of Denver invite you to attend a combined presentation and hands-on workshop demonstrating how the blended classroom benefits students and professors.
This dynamic presentation and workshop will be led by Aaron Dewald, the Associate Director of the Center of Innovation in Legal Education at the University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law. He is an expert in and lectures widely on the development and use of blended learning opportunities. At Utah Law, Aaron conducts research on and assists faculty in innovative curricular enhancements.
Aaron explains, “As more and more professors turn to blended classrooms, we should understand how to use the online medium effectively and understand what it can and cannot do well. Multiple theories about how people learn and comprehend in online learning environments can inform how we create our videos. Our approach has been validated by our successful flipping of the first year Contracts course. We’re leveraging our educational design team to create TheFirstYear.org, an ambitious, open resource for faculty and students to blend, flip, and supplement their first year of law school.”
By attending this workshop you will:
- Learn about the Cognitive Approach to Blended Learning in Education (CABLE).
- Understand how professors can apply the intersection of instructional design, learning science, and technology to their videos.
- Hear about a practical framework for use in designing blended learning videos.
- Participate in a hands-on workshop in which you’ll implement the skills and framework learned from the presentation.
- Not be bored. Aaron is passionate, animated presenter!