16 Dec 2013
The OTL will host a Teaching and Learning Conference on Friday, April 4, 2014
Many of our course improvement efforts require that students know how to learn in different ways in order to be successful. Twenty-first century learning is based not on the acquisition of knowledge, but on deeper, lasting, independent learning. This requires that students know how to learn, yet most students are unaware of how they learn or what constitutes effective ways to study. However independent learning skills can be taught and encouraged through specific teaching methods. Keynote speaker Dr. Nilson will draw from her recent book, which outlines numerous practical ways to encourage independent learning from our students.
Keynote speaker: Dr. Linda Nilson, founding director of the Office of Teaching Effectiveness and Innovation (OTEI) at Clemson University and author of Creating Self-Regulated Learners: Strategies to Strengthen Students’ Self-Awareness and Learning Skills.
Sessions, digital posters, and roundtables will allow faculty members to share their ideas and practices with each other and explore how to engage students in their learning.
Be on the lookout for further details in early 2014!
18 Apr 2013
Several DU faculty and staff members presented at the 2013 eLearning Consortium of Colorado (eLCC) conference in Breckenridge, Colorado this month. The conference brings together college faculty, administrators, instructional designers, vendors and others to share teaching techniques and best practices for online education.
The DU team shared their expertise with other eLCC members in the following sessions:
- How I Survived Teaching My First Online Course (and Actually Enjoyed It)! – Susanne Sherba, Department of Computer Science
- The MOOC Panel: Survivors, Thrivers & Skeptics – Alice Bedard-Voorhees (University College) and Kathy Keairns (OTL)
- A Few Tips and Tricks for Teaching Online – Carol Johnson, DCB, Department of Marketing
- Preparing Instructors to Teach Online: Two Faculty Development Models – Kathy Keairns (OTL) and Jean Otte, Aims Community College
- Defining Your Personal Learning Environments – Alice Bedard Voorhees, University College