DU has purchased third-party software called the Multi Tool to assist professors when Canvas requires too many mouse clicks to get things done efficiently. The Multi Tool can:
- Update all assignment due dates, unlock dates, and locks dates – all from the same screen.
- Create a Home page, publish it, and mark it as the Front page.
- Create template pages that you can add to modules.
- Create new modules or add to existing modules.
- Add shell pages for assignments, quizzes, and discussions.
Before you can use the Multi Tool, you must add it to navigation menu in your Canvas course. By default, the Multi Tool is hidden because it is only used when setting up the course. Students cannot view or access the Multi Tool when it is enabled in your course.
To add the Multi Tool, follow these steps:
- On the course navigation menu, click Settings.
- On the Settings page, click the Navigation tab.
- On the Navigation tab, drag the Multi Tool item from the list of hidden items (on the bottom) to the list of available items.
- Click Save.
Launch the Multi Tool
After you have added the Multi Tool to your course navigation menu, you can launch it by clicking on the Multi Tool item. The first time that you use it in any of your courses, the Multi-Tool prompts you to authorize access to your account. Once you have authorized it, you can use the Multi Tool in any of your courses. However, you will still need to add it to the navigation menu in each individual course.
This tool should be the most popular and easy to use. You can modify all of your course due dates in one place. You can perform the following operations:
- Add or modify the course start and end dates
- Add or modify the dues dates for assignments, discussions, and quizzes
- Add or modify the availability dates
To modify a date, follow these steps:
- On the course navigation menu, click Multi Tool.
- On the Multi Tool main page, click Due Date Modifer.
- On the Due Date Modifier page,
- Enter the course start and end dates for your course: the date students need to start viewing the content and the last date they can access your course. DU has Canvas set up so that it follows Term dates so this field is blank. The vendor is working to make this process automatic for the campus, but in the meantime you’ll need to add the start/end dates as the instructor.
- Add or change Assignment dates by typing a new date or clicking the calendar icon in the corresponding field and selecting the date.
- Click Update course dates.
Page Template Tool
With the Page Template tool, you can create template pages to add to your modules. The Multi Tool displays the templates that you create in the Module Builder. The templates are also displayed in the Copy Existing Content panel, and in the main Canvas page list.
The Module Builder makes module creation more efficient. Instructors and course builders can create multiple modules at the same time. With the Module Builder, you can add template pages, as well as assignment, discussion, and quiz shells to each module. (Instructors must add their content to each module item.)