Teaching Support for Graduate Students
The University of Denver’s Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) provides teaching support for anyone who teaches or is interested in teaching at DU. All of our services are open to graduate students whether they are teaching a course, servings as a graduate teaching assistant, or are interested in preparing for a career that includes teaching. We offer a wide range of services and programs to support educators for 21st century teaching and learning.
The OTL offers workshops related to teaching, learning and educational technology and a Faculty Showcase Series each year. Graduate students are welcome at these events.
For an introduction and overview of teaching at DU, sign up for a self-paced online course Teaching@DU.
Upcoming events that are of particular interest to graduate students are listed on the right hand column of this page. The workshops listed below are offered on a regular basis.
- Writing a Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Introduction to Inclusive Teaching Practices
- Grading strategies/Giving student feedback
- Managing Difficult Classroom Scenarios
- Teaching Strategies Overview (every other year)
- Managing Group Dynamics (every other year)
- Teaching and Learning Week (different speakers and sessions each year)
- How Research on learning informs teaching
- Facilitating Discussions for Critical Thinking (every other year)
- Presentation skills (every other year)
- Overview of Program Assessment
- Work/life balance as a faculty member
- Exploring Project-based learning (every other year)
- Experiential Learning and the Importance of Reflection (every other year)
- Building a Teaching Portfolio
Teaching Consultation and Support
Prepping for your next teaching opportunity? Contact the OTL and set up an appointment to receive guidance or feedback about teaching methods, lesson plans, or assignments. On a case-by-case basis, the OTL can conduct an in-class observation or personal, pedagogical consultation.
Academic Technology Consultations
Curious about setting up an online course or implementing new technologies in the classroom? The OTL offers both one-on-one consultation and Technology workshops to help instructors implement technology in their teaching. The OTL provides support and training on a multitude of instructional technology tools, such as:
- Canvas—Learning management system
- DU CourseMedia—Multimedia repository and delivery system created at DU
- DU Portfolio—Online portfolio application created just for DU
- Clickers—Student response system
- Lecture Capture—Screencast technology
- Zoom—video conferencing software
Other Teaching Resources
At the OTL our mission is to promote and support a culture at the University of Denver that values and rewards excellence in teaching and learning. In line with that goal, we offer numerous online teaching guides and resources.
Take advantage of these services available to you as a DU graduate student to help in your current or future teaching endeavors!