At times, instructors may want students to add comments to a video. For example, ask your students to upload a video into a Canvas course and make comments along the video timeline to highlight key points made within the video.
How to use the Media Gallery
Using the Kaltura Media Gallery, instructors and students in that class can upload and/or publish files to the Media Gallery, as well as add comments to the media file. If needed, instructors can disable commenting and turn on a moderation feature, which then requires files to be approved by an instructor before they are visible to the entire class.
Enable and disable comments and moderation
- Make sure your Canvas course How to Activate Kaltura in Canvas. If the Media Gallery is not visible in your Canvas navigation menu, an instructor will need to add it via . For more details, see
- In the course navigation menu of your Canvas course, click .
- Click the Media Gallery edit icon to edit the gallery name, description and settings. See Media Gallery icon.
Add video from My Media to the Media Gallery
You can add any media that you’ve uploaded to My Media to a course Media Gallery. To add media to the Media Gallery:
- On the Media Gallery page, click .
- On the “Add Media” screen, use the sort, filter, and search options at the top of the screen to locate the item(s) you want to add to the current gallery.
- Select each item you want to add by checking the box to the left of the thumbnail. After selecting all the items you want, click . A blue progress bar will display. When all items have been added, you will be returned to the main “Media Gallery” page.
Approve pending uploads in moderated galleries
If moderation is enabled in your Media Gallery, student contributions to the Gallery must be approved by an instructor or TA. To approve pending files:
- On the “Media Gallery” screen, check the information immediately beneath the page title. If you see a pending link (e.g.,
- On the moderation page, click each thumbnail to view the file. Click to add the file to the Media Gallery or to reject and remove it. You can also remove or reject files in bulk by checking the boxes to the left of each thumbnail and then clicking or at the top of the screen.
For additional information, see the Kaltura Video App for Canvas User Guide.