Important Notice: Users of DU VideoManager, DU CourseMedia videos (excluding images and audio), TechSmith Relay, Relay Wrangler, and faculty who are using videos in Canvas, will be impacted by the transition over to Kaltura, which will be a campus-wide rollout beginning in the Fall Quarter of 2019.
What is Kaltura?
The University of Denver has selected a company called Kaltura to be the next campus-wide video management system. Kaltura has a suite of tools related to video creation, uploading, editing, mobile app, captioning, lecture capture, sharing, and Canvas integration. Here is a list of Kaltura products with a short description:
- Kaltura – Company name
- Kaltura – Canvas Integration: Canvas integration with rich text editor
- Kaltura – My Media: Your personal collection of all your uploaded videos located in Kaltura-Canvas
- Kaltura – Media Gallery: A gallery of published media items specifically related to a Canvas course
- Kaltura – MediaSpace: Video portal website that supports public and private channels
- Kaltura – Personal Capture: Computer screen capture and webcam recorder software
- Kaltura – Lecture Capture: Classroom hardware to record video in a classroom
- Kaltura – Webcasting: Live video feed for large events
- Kaltura – Go: A mobile app for Apple and Google devices that allows you to record and upload videos into DU MediaSpace – My Media account
Videos Tutorials and User Guides:
- Kaltura and Canvas integration overview
- How to embed a Kaltura media in a Canvas course
- How to record your screen and voice using Kaltura “Personal Capture”
- How to create media gallery or playlist in Canvas
- How to edit media using Kaltura online editing tools
- How to share your media with a co-publisher or co-editor
- Kaltura Video Library
- Canvas Kaltura User Guide (PDF):
- How to use Kaltura within Canvas (5/8/2019)
- Kaltura & Canvas Training (12/12/2018)
- Video Captioning (5/7/2019)
Who can help me with Kaltura?
Send your Kaltura questions to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Alex Martinez – Main Campus
- Nicolas Pares – University College
- Allison O’Grady – University College
What are some useful features that Kaltura provides?
- Integration with Canvas to allow instructors and students to upload and manage their course videos
- Create new videos using webcam or computer screen recordings
- Support for various media types (video, audio, images, and PowerPoint)
- Upload of media using Kaltura will not impact your Canvas course storage limit
- Ability to share and co-own videos with your peers
- Video and audio editing tools
- Automatic video closed captions and online editor
- Synchronization of PowerPoint slides with video
- Analytics to help you see which students are watching your course videos
- Video quizzing that will pause a video and ask students to respond to a question
Will my TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager still keep working?
TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager will continue to work until December 2019. No new content will be allowed to be produced in TechSmith Relay or DU VideoManager starting March 2019. All new video content needs to be created in Kaltura or ZOOM after March 2019.
Can I move my content from DU VideoManager and TechSmith Relay to Kaltura?
Yes, DU VideoManager and TechSmith Relay both allow you to download your videos. If you have several videos to transfer, contact Alex Martinez at email@example.com to help you migrate your videos to Kaltura. After the videos have been moved, you will have to update the video embed codes and links in your Canvas course. Please refer to this article: “How do I move my content from DU VideoManager and TechSmitRelay to Kaltura?”
Who’s allowed to use Kaltura?
Our software license with Kaltura allows the entire DU community to use it. Its primary use is for education, however, it can support marketing, research, special groups, and business operation needs.
Will it work with Canvas?
Yes, Kaltura provides many helpful features to Canvas instructors and students. Please review these resources:
Will Kaltura work outside of Canvas?
Yes, if you have videos outside of academic coursework, you can use the Kaltura MediaSpace video portal – https://mediaspace.du.edu/. You can use this video portal for business-related or research videos. Log in using your firstname.lastname@example.org and password.
Will I run out of storage space if I upload several videos into my Canvas My Media folder?
Kaltura provides Canvas instructors and students with a generous amount of storage space. However, you will experience problems uploading large video files if you have a slow Internet connection. We recommend not uploading files larger than 1 GB. We recommend using HandBrake to compress your videos to a smaller file size (1000-2000 Kbps). Visit How to compress video size using HandBrake to learn how to compress your videos.
What type of content can be uploaded into Kaltura?
You can upload videos, images and audio files into Kaltura. You can also upload related media files to your primary video. For example, you can attach a PDF or PowerPoint to your video. All Kaltura content creators must agree to the terms and conditions defined by the University of Denver.
How can I log in and explore Kaltura?
If you are an active DU community member (instructor, staff or student) you can log in two different ways. Kaltura is directly embedded in Canvas so you can access it via your Canvas course. By default, instructors need to activate Kaltura. Refer to How to Activate Kaltura in Canvas. You can also access it via DU MediaSpace at http://mediaspace.du.edu using your DU 87 number and password.
Does Kaltura support captions?
Yes, Kaltura has a built-in caption engine that will generate captions on every video that you upload into the system. This computerized caption service is about 80% accurate but Kaltura allows you to edit your video captions. Refer to “Kaltura – Editing Closed Captions“.
You can continue to use professional captioning services for videos that have poor audio quality or different speakers. Here are three possible options:
Does Kaltura support other media formats besides video?
Yes, Kaltura allows users to upload video, audio and images. You can also attach related files (PowerPoint, WordDoc and PDF) to a video as a video presentation. Click here to learn more about Kaltura Video Lecture Presentation.
What’s the difference between Kaltura and Zoom Video Recording?
Common features between Kaltura and ZOOM Cloud video recording:
- Computer screen capture with voice – Yes
- Share recorded videos with others via a web link – Yes
- Make videos available via Canvas – Yes
- Computer-based auto closed captions – Yes
Unique features between Kaltura and ZOOM
- ZOOM is primarily used as a live video conference tool that can host many people in real time. Kaltura does not have a web conference feature.
- Kaltura has various editing and management features. Zoom has limited editing and management tools.
- Kaltura specializes in video capture from your mobile and desktop computer.
- Kaltura has many integration points within Canvas.
|Computer screen recording||Yes||Yes|
|Narrate PowerPoint recordings||Yes||Yes|
|Edit video after recording||Yes||Limited|
|Share video with students or others||Yes||Yes|
|Web conference with others||No||Yes|
|Attach related files||Yes||No|
|Instructor, student, and staff access||Yes||Yes|