Last updated on 3/10/2022
This article covers:
- What is Kaltura
- Popular Tutorials and User Guides
- Recorded Webinars
- Who’s allowed to use Kaltura
- Will Kaltura work outside of Canvas
- Will I run out of storage space
- What type of content can be uploaded into Kaltura
- Does Kaltura support closed captions
- What’s the difference between Kaltura and Zoom recordings
- Are my Zoom recordings available in Kaltura
- Who can help me with Kaltura
What is Kaltura?
Kaltura is a campus-wide video management system available for all active DU community members via DU Canvas or DU MediaSpace. Kaltura is available in all Canvas courses under the menu titles of My Media and Media Gallery. Kaltura has a suite of tools related to video creation, uploading, editing, sharing, mobile app, close captioning, lecture capture, video quizzes, and hot spots.
Here are some common Kaltura terms / services:
- Kaltura – Company name
- My Media: Your private collection of all your uploaded videos located. Think of My Media as your private bucket of all your media.
- Media Gallery: A gallery of media items uploaded by the instructor and/or students specifically related to a single Canvas course. It’s a great way to share videos, images or audio files with the entire class.
- DU MediaSpace: A non-Canvas video portal website that supports public and private channels.
- Channels: Located at DU MediaSpace, channels offers users the ability to organize and set various privacy settings for media content.
- Gallery: Located at DU MediaSpace, a gallery is a public collection of videos located at https://mediaspace.du.edu . This is a great way to market your video collection.
- Personal Capture: Computer screen and webcam recorder software for instructors and students. Recorded media will be uploaded automatically into their My Media account.
- Kaltura Go: A mobile app for Apple and Google devices that allows you to record smart phone videos and upload videos into DU MediaSpace
Popular Kaltura Videos Tutorials and User Guide:
- Kaltura and Canvas integration overview
- How to embed a Kaltura media in a Canvas course
- How to record your screen and voice using Kaltura “Personal Capture”
- How to create media gallery or playlist in Canvas
- How to edit media using Kaltura online editing tools
- How to share your media with a co-publisher or co-editor
- Can my student submit their video assignment?
- How can I add interactive quiz questions to my videos?
- How do I edit my video closed captions?
- Kaltura Video Library
- Canvas Kaltura User Guide (PDF):
Recorded Kaltura/Canvas Webinars:
- Video Engagement using Kaltura videos and Canvas (2/20/2020)
- Video Closed Captioning (5/7/2019)
Who’s allowed to use Kaltura?
Our software license with Kaltura allows the entire DU community to use it. Its primary use is for education, however, it can support marketing, research, special groups, and business operation needs.
Will Kaltura work outside of Canvas?
Yes, if you have videos outside of academic coursework, you can use the DU MediaSpace video portal – https://mediaspace.du.edu/. You can use this video portal for business-related or research videos. Log in using your email@example.com and password.
Will I run out of storage space?
Kaltura provides unlimited amount of storage space for active content. .
What type of content can be uploaded into Kaltura?
You can upload videos, images and audio files into Kaltura. You can also upload related media files to your primary video. For example, you can attach a PDF or PowerPoint to your video. All Kaltura content creators must agree to the terms and conditions defined by the University of Denver.
You can also attach related files (PowerPoint, WordDoc and PDF) to a video as a video presentation. Click here to learn more about Kaltura Video Lecture Presentation.
If you experience problems uploading large video files, we recommend not uploading files larger than 1 GB. We recommend using HandBrake to compress your videos to a smaller file size (1000-2000 Kbps). Visit How to compress video size using HandBrake to learn how to compress your videos.
Does Kaltura support closed captions?
Yes, Kaltura has a free built-in caption engine that will generate captions on every video that you upload into the system. This computerized caption service is about 85+% accurate. You can edit your video captions. Refer to “Kaltura – Editing Closed Captions“.
You can continue to use professional captioning services for videos that have poor audio quality or different speakers. Here are three possible options:
- REV: https://www.rev.com/
- 3PlayMedia: https://www.3playmedia.com/
- Temi: https://www.temi.com/
What’s the difference between Kaltura and Zoom Video Recording?
Common features between Kaltura and ZOOM Cloud video recording:
- Computer screen capture with voice – Yes
- Record and share videos with others via a web link – Yes
- Make videos available via Canvas – Yes
- Computer-based auto closed captions – Yes
Unique features between Kaltura and ZOOM
- ZOOM is primarily used as a live video conference tool that can host many people in real-time.
- Kaltura has robust management features, analytics, and video quiz editor.
- Zoom has limited editing – trim.
- Kaltura specializes in video capture from your desktop computer.
- Kaltura has many integration points within Canvas.
|Computer screen recording||Yes||Yes|
|Narrate PowerPoint recordings||Yes||Yes|
|Edit video after recording||Trim and Cut||Trim|
|Share video with students or others||Yes||Yes|
|Web conference with others||No||Yes|
|Attach related files||Yes||No|
|Instructor, student, and staff access||Yes||Yes|
Are my Zoom recordings available in Kaltura?
Yes, as of March 23, 2022 all future Zoom Cloud video recordings will be transferred automatically to the Zoom host’s DU MediaSpace and DU Canvas My Media.
Who can help me with Kaltura?
Send your Kaltura questions to kalturaAdmin@du.edu