Help students connect with each other––and with you––through the Kaltura Media Gallery and My Media features, accessible within Canvas.
This article covers:
- Differences between Canvas My Media and Media Gallery.
- How can I post my Zoom recordings in Media Gallery?
- How can students share their own videos via Media Gallery?
- How can students post comments to a video?
What’s the difference between Canvas My Media and Media Gallery?
Think of My Media as your own personal and private media library available for all the courses you teach in Canvas. It is a collection of all the videos you have uploaded or recorded. It accessible through your Canvas account, but is not course specific. When students click on My Media in their Canvas account, they will see their own personal and private library of videos: they will NOT see your videos.
Think of Media Gallery as the space, within a course, where you can post videos from My Media. The Media Gallery is associated with a specific course. When students click on Media Gallery, they will see the videos you have uploaded for their use within the context of the specific course.
- My Media: Personal library to house and manage media content that students cannot see.
- Media Gallery: Searchable gallery of media content assigned to a course that students can see.
How can I post my Zoom recordings in Media Gallery?
As of March 23, 2022, all Zoom Cloud recordings will be transferred into the Zoom host’s My Media account. This integration makes the publishing process much easier and secure. To share Zoom recordings with students, publish recordings in the Canvas course’s Media Gallery, following these steps.
- Go to your Canvas course.
- Click on Media Gallery and then click Add Media.
- You should see all your video recordings, select the video(s) you wish to publish.
- Press the Publish button, this will publish your videos to the course Media Gallery for students to access.
- You might have to click the Refresh button on the Media Gallery web page to see your videos.
How can students publish to Media Gallery?
Consider engaging students by inviting them to create and share videos in the course Media Gallery. Students can either add a new video from their computer or publish a video from their personal My Media account to the course Media Gallery. Here are the steps to share with students:
Upload a new video from your computer:
- Go to your Canvas course and click Media Gallery.
- Click on Add Media.
- Click on Add New and select Media Upload.
- Follow the instructions to upload desired file from your computer.
Once the file has been uploaded, return back to the course Media Gallery to see your video.
Publish videos already in your personal My Media:
- Go to the course Media Gallery.
- Select desired media file.
- Click Publish.
NOTE: If the instructor of the Canvas course requires that content be approved before publishing to the course Media Gallery, you will not see your media posted right away. You may have to contact your instructor to inform them you are requesting permission to publish your work in Media Gallery.
Can students add comments to a video?
Yes, the instructor can enable commenting on all videos within the course Media Gallery. This is a great way for students to share constructive feedback with their peers. Comments can be time-coded to the video to make it easy for viewers to click on the time-code and jump directly to the comment.