ZOOM allows you to record your computer webcam and voice to create a video that you can share with others. In this tutorial, we will illustrate how to use the ZOOM Cloud Recording option to record a live interview and share the video recording with your instructor.
What You Will Need
- A computer webcam and microphone.
- Internet access.
- A quiet room with good lighting.
- Non-distracting background. Activate ZOOM virtual background if possible.
- If you and your interviewee are both in the same room, the webcam should be placed about 5-10 feet away from the people being interviewed. Speak loud and clear.
- If you and your interviewee are in virtual zoom space be sure each of you are visible and centered on the screen.
DU-2DU Online Students
DU-2DU Online Students: If you are part of the DU online programs who use 2DU as your learning management system (ie; MSW@Denver, MBA@Denver), you can locate instructions on recording an interview video on zoom by downloading the document titled, Student Self Recording Instructions.
If you have questions or need technical support please reach out to 2U tech support directly in 2DU (through chat), email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 855-840-5129 ext 1 or 2 for tech support.
Step 1: ZOOM Download and Login Instructions
If you are an on-campus DU student, please use https://udenver.zoom.us
Step 2: Schedule a ZOOM Meeting
Schedule a ZOOM meeting and share the ZOOM meeting link with your partner.
Go to https://udenver.zoom.us -> Login -> Press Schedule Meeting.
You may want to double-check your ZOOM Recording Settings to make sure your video will save the “Gallery View” layout. Visit https://udenver.zoom.us and login -> Settings -> Recordings -> Record gallery view with shared screen. Also, make sure Audio Transcript is turned-on.
Step 3: Recording Your Interview
Once you and your partner are ready, click Record -> Select Record to Cloud. To stop the recording, press the stop button or click End Meeting.
Important! ZOOM allows for Speaker View or Gallery View. Make sure you are in Gallery View (top right corner of Zoom screen) so that the final recording will be similar to the meeting client and display a grid layout of participants’ video.
Tip: Make sure to record in a quiet room, the audio is very important! Speak loud, clear and not too fast. The audio part of your video will generate a text transcript.
2U Students: Students enrolled in the 2U online programs do not need to activate their cloud recorder in ZOOM, it will automatically start recording once you start your ZOOM meeting. 2U courses using ZOOM will automatically record and activate your webcam when you start a meeting.
Step 4: End ZOOM meeting
After ending your meeting, your ZOOM video will be uploaded automatically to ZOOM. After about 15-30 minutes, you’ll receive two emails from ZOOM. The second email will have the transcript version.
Step 5: Editing the Transcript
In some cases, the student that hosted the ZOOM meeting might have to edit the transcript and include annotations.
Transcript Editing Instructions:
As the video owner, you can edit the video transcript. Some assignments require you to submit special note within the transcript.
1) Open your DU zoom account (https://udenver.zoom.us) and click on Recordings in the left-hand menu. A list of your recordings will appear.
2) Click on the recording you want to edit, this will open up the video.
3) The transcript section is on the right side of the video. Click on the pencil icon, edit that section, click on save. Refresh when finished and the transcript will reflect the changes made in the video.
Step 6: Submit your video link
By default, ZOOM recordings requires a passcode to view them. You can disable this by clicking the Share button and adjusting the settings to be public.
Make sure you are sharing the Gallery View video, it will show all the people that were part of the interview.
When you are done editing the transcript close that window. Return back to the Recording details page (see above) and to get a copy of a sharable link for the Gallery View version. Submit your final interview video ZOOM link to your instructor directly or via a specific Canvas assignment.
Submit ZOOM recording via Canvas
- Go to your Canvas course
- Go to Assignments
- Click on the activity assignment
- Press Submit Assignment
- Paste ZOOM link in the Website URL box and press Submit Assignment.