When creating course assignments in Canvas, you are offered an online submission type called “Media Recordings.” Using Kaltura for video assignments provides greater flexibility in regards to ownership and use of the video.
How to create a video assignment using Kaltura
Setting up a video assignment using Kaltura
- In your Canvas course, click the Assignments link in your course menu or via a course module section.
- Click the + button to add a new assignment to the group assignment block.
- The Add Assignment to … dialog box will display. Click More Options to expand the Assignment page.
- The Create new assignment page is displayed.
- In the Assignment Name text box, type the name of your assignment.
- In the text box, type the assignment instructions. Use the Rich Content Editor to add images, text, links, equations, or media.
- In the Points text box, type the highest grade students can receive.
- In the Assignment Group drop-down list, select the group for the assignment.
- In the Submission Type drop-down list, select Online.
- For the Online submission type, select Text Entry in the online entry options. Text Entry uses the Rich Content Editor, which has Kaltura as a media tool.
- Select the due date and the available from dates.
- Save and publish the assignment.
- Your saved video assignment will now be displayed.
- To add a rubric, click Add Rubric if needed.
- Speedgrader is available to view each student’s completed video and to add grades and comments.
- Your students will now be able to select this video assignment to upload their video work. If you would like to send instructions to your students to help them submit their assignment, refer them to “Kaltura – Submitting a Video Assignment (Student View)“