The following is a set of instructions for students to record themselves as part of a class assignment.
- The video will include one or more students talking.
- The video should have clear audio and video quality.
- The video should be posted as a Canvas Assignment.
What you will need:
- Kaltura activated in your Canvas course (instructor responsibility)
- Kaltura Capture (included after instructor has activated Kaltura in their Canvas).
- A quiet room with good lighting.
- A computer with a built-in or external web cam.
- At least 2GB of free storage space on your computer.
1. Launch Kaltura Capture (or to install it), choose “Kaltura Capture” from the “Add New” menu in your Canvas course – My Media page .
2. You should see a terms and agreement statement, click the checkbox after you have read the statement.
3. Click on the Windows or Mac download to start in the install process. You only need to download and install it once, but you will see this window each time. We recommend that you access the tool in this way, as opposed to using a desktop shortcut to the application.
4. After you have installed the software, the application will open up. Turn on webcam and microphone. Turn off your desktop record for interview type videos.
5.Make sure that the webcam is capturing all the people that need to be in the video. The webcam should be between 5-10 feet away.
6. Press the big red button to get start recording, you will see a 3 second countdown. Do a 30 second test recording first to make sure the audio and video sources are correct. A local copy is saved by default, and you can play the recording back before you save and upload it.
NOTE: If you are interviewing someone, you must inform them that the video might be shared with others as part of the class assignment. This statement and the students permission should be part of the video.
7. After you stop and save your recording, you will see a screen that allows you to Save and Upload or Delete your presentation.
After a few minutes of processing, your recording will be able in your Canvas My Media section.
Submit Video To Canvas
To submit your video, please follow these instructions “Kaltura – Submitting a Video Assignment (Student View)“:
Notes on Devices
- Kaltura Capture is only available for Windows and Mac full operating systems.
- This application will not work in iOS.