The Office of Teaching and Learning is excited to announce that our inaugural Course Design Institute (CDI) was successfully held during the week of August 14-17, 2017. Testimonials from CDI participants:
“The CDI experience is absolutely rewarding to me. It provides many actionable concepts in a way that encouraged instant application. I am thankful for having the opportunity to attend.”
“Many thanks again for everything! The CDI staff were friendly, competent and inspiring. The Institute differentiated to the various levels of course design expertise in the group and helped myself and a colleague develop an excellent course sequence. Further, I intend to visit OTL frequently in the future– your office is an incredible gem on this campus.”
What is the Course Design Institute (CDI)?
The Course Design Institute brings faculty together to engage in meaningful guided discussions, hands-on workshops and working sessions to design or redesign a course. The Institute focuses on creating meaningful learning outcomes while outlining a course in which all activities, assessments and resources support student achievement and foster an inclusive learning environment.
What topics are covered during the institute?
The Course Design Institute features guided discussions, hands-on workshops and working sessions led by the Office of Teaching and Learning staff. The institute will culminate in a share-and-celebrate event on the final afternoon. Topics include:
- Key dimensions of course design and relevant design frameworks.
- Clarifying expectations for meaningful learning outcomes.
- Developing activities, assessments and resources that align with learning outcomes.
- Creating assessments that provide feedback on learner progress and support student self-regulation.
- Ensuring that all activities are created according to Universal Design for Learning principles, Inclusive Excellence teaching practices, and other evidence-based instructional strategies.
- Constructing a learning-centered syllabus.
Who is eligible to participate in the CDI?
Full time University of Denver faculty interested in designing or redesigning a course are encouraged to apply for our next Institute. Stay tuned for a call for applications for the next CDI which will be offered in 2018 (dates TBD).
Who to contact?
For more information, please email email@example.com.