Please note: This summer (2021), the Course Design Institute will focus on the design of hybrid courses, and will be offered as a combination of online and in person activities over the span of two weeks (August 2-13). Please see our events systems for more information.
What is the Course Design Institute?
The Course Design Institute (CDI) is a multi-day, immersive experience focused on designing courses for significant learning – that is, learning that has the potential to change students’ lives in lasting and important ways. The Institute brings faculty members together to engage in meaningful guided discussions, hands-on workshops and working sessions to design or redesign a course. The CDI focuses on creating meaningful learning outcomes while outlining a course in which all activities, assessments and resources support student achievement and foster an inclusive learning environment.
What topics are covered during the institute?
The Course Design Institute features guided discussions, hands-on workshops and working sessions led by the Office of Teaching and Learning staff. The institute will culminate in a share-and-celebrate event on the final afternoon. Topics include:
- Research-based perspectives on how learning works.
- Key course design principles.
- Clarifying expectations for significant learning outcomes.
- Developing activities, assessments and resources that align with learning outcomes.
- Creating assessments that provide feedback on learner progress and support student self-regulation.
- Ensuring that all activities are created according to Universal Design for Learning principles, Inclusive Excellence teaching practices, and other evidence-based instructional strategies.
Who is eligible to participate in the CDI?
All DU faculty members are eligible to participate in the CDI. Faculty members who complete the Course Design Institute, including key deliverables such as a course alignment table outlining key course components, will receive a stipend.
From DU faculty members who have completed the CDI:
When is the next CDI, and who do I contact for more information?
This summer (2021), the Course Design Institute will focus on the design of hybrid courses, and will be offered as a combination of online and in person activities over the span of two weeks (August 2-13). Please see our events systems for more information or contact Virginia.Pitts@du.edu