Canvas is the University of Denver’s new Learning Management System (LMS), which will replace Blackboard over the course of the 2014-2015 academic year. After Spring quarter, 2015, Canvas will be the university’s only LMS. Canvas is currently available to all DU instructors who have classes listed on the course schedule.
Canvas login page: https://canvas.du.edu
- Module-based content organization
- Speed-Grader application for grading papers online
- Intuitive interface
- App Center lets instructors add functionality to their courses
- Customized notifications
- Integration with Google Docs
- Free mobile apps for iOS and Android; SpeedGrader App for iOS
Canvas User Guides – online documentation site for students and instructors developed by Canvas. The lessons are contiually updated with every new release.
DU Canvas Instructor Tutorial – Self-paced tutorial within Canvas customized for DU instructors.
DU Canvas Student Orientation – If you are new to Canvas, browse through the student orientation and make sure to provide your students with a link to the Canvas Student Orientation within your syllabus and/or Canvas Course.
Canvas in OTL Knowledge Base – Includes FAQs, tech support, and information on external tools.
Canvas is used by over 600 colleges, universities, and school districts. This technology employs a “cloud native” model for delivering its software, meaning:
- The software is hosted on Amazon servers in the US
- The software is updated automatically across all installations (all schools using Canvas are on the same version of the software)
- Canvas can dynamically allocate server resources during peak periods in order to mitigate load-based performance issues
Canvas is built upon a modern web framework and conforms to web standards, meaning browser compatibility is not an issue. Usability is the primary focus of Canvas’ design, and no features are added that may degrade the overall user experience. What differentiates Canvas from most learning management systems are the robust collaboration and communication tools built into the software, featuring easily-customizable notifications.
How can I learn more?
- Contact Alex Karklins 303-871-7882 Alexander.Karklins@du.edu to schedule a training session.