DU will be introducing a new video management system for the entire DU community called Kaltura starting January 2019.
Here are some common questions and answers related to this project.
What is Kaltura?
The University of Denver has selected a company called Kaltura to be the next campus-wide video management system. Kaltura has a suite of tools related to video creation, uploading, editing, mobile app, captioning, lecture capture, sharing, shared repositories and Canvas integration. Here is a list of Kaltura products with a short description:
- Kaltura – Company name
- Kaltura – Canvas Integration: Canvas integration with Rich Text Editor editor
- Kaltura – My Media: Your personal collection of all your uploaded videos located in Kaltura-Canvas
- Kaltura – My Gallery: A gallery of published media items specifically related to a Canvas course
- Kaltura – MediaSpace: Video portal website that supports public and private channels
- Kaltura – PersonalCapture: Computer screen capture and webcam recorder
- Kaltura – Lecture Capture: Classroom hardware to record video in a classroom
- Kaltura – Webcasting: Live video feed for large events
- Kaltura – Go: A mobile app for Apple and Google devices. Record and upload videos into DU MediaSpace – My Media account.
Why is DU moving to Kaltura?
Our TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager servers are nearing “End of Life” which means they are no longer supported. Kaltura is a well established company that has specialized in enterprise video management for over 10 years. Kaltura provides many of the same features that TechSmith Relay and VideoManager provides and in some cases does a much better job.
What are some of the most useful features that Kaltura provides?
- Integration with Canvas to allow instructors and students to upload and manage their course videos.
- Create new media using webcam or computer screen recording using Kaltura software.
- Support for various media types (video, audio, images, and PowerPoint)
- Large amount of storage space for video in Canvas.
- Share and co-own videos with your peers.
- Video and audio editing and tools.
- Automatic captions and online caption editor.
- Synchronize your PowerPoint slides with your video.
- Analytics to help you see which students are watching your course videos.
Will my TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager still keep on working?
Yes, TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager will continue to work until the December 2019. However, no new content will be allowed to be produced in TechSmith Relay or DU VideoManager starting March 2019. All new video content needs to be created in Kaltura or ZOOM after March 2019.
Who’s allowed to use it?
Our software license with Kaltura allows the entire DU community to use it. It’s primary use is for education, however, it can support marketing, research, special groups and business operation needs.
Will it work Canvas?
Yes, Kaltura provides Canvas instructors and student many helpful features. Please review this video
Will Kaltura work outside of Canvas?
Yes, if you have videos outside of academic course work, you can use the Kaltura MediaSpace video portal – https://mediaspace.du.edu/. You can use this video portal for business related or research videos. Login using your firstname.lastname@example.org and password .
Who can help me at DU with Kaltura?
- Send your Kaltura questions to our Kaltura to one of these people:
- Alex Martinez – alex.martinez @ du edu
- Rich Path – rich.path @ du edu
- Nicolas Pares – nicolas.pares @ du edu (University College)
- Allison O’Grady -allison.OGrady @ du edu (University College)
Will I run out of storage space if I upload several videos into my Canvas My Media folder?
Not likely, Kaltura provides Canvas instructors and students with a generous amount of storage space. You may experience problems uploading large video files if you have a slow Internet connection. We still recommend not uploading files larger than 1 GB, we encourage users to compress their large files before they upload them for a better user experience. We recommend using HandBrake to compress your videos to a smaller file size (1000-2000 kbps). Visit: How to compress video size using HandBrake
What type of content can be uploaded into Kaltura?
You can upload videos and audio files into Kaltura. You can also upload related media files to your primary video. For example, you can attach a PDF of your research report to your video. All Kaltura content creators must agree to the terms and conditions defined by the University.
Can I move my content from DU VideoManager and Relay to Kaltura?
Yes, DU VideoManager and TechSmith Relay both allow you to download your videos. If you have several videos to transfer, contact Alex Martinez to help you migrate your videos over to Kaltura. After the videos have been moved, you will have to update the video embed codes and links in your Canvas course.
How can I login and explore Kaltura?
If you are an active DU community member (instructor, staff or student) you can login via two ways. Kaltura is directly embedded in Canvas so you can access it via your Canvas course. You can also access it via DU MediaSpace at http://mediaspace.du.edu using your DU 87 number and password.
Does Kaltura support captions?
Yes, Kaltura has a built-in caption engine that will generate captions on every video that you upload into the system. This computerized caption service is about 70-80% accurate but Kaltura allows you to edit your video captions. You can continue to use professional captioning services. Here are three possible options:
Does Kaltura support other media formats besides video?
Yes, Kaltura allows users to upload video, audio and images. You can also attached related files (PowerPoint, WordDoc and PDF) to a video as a Video Presentation. Click here to learn more about Kaltura Video Lecture Presentation.
What’s the difference between Kaltura and Zoom Cloud Recording?
Common features between Kaltura and ZOOM Cloud Recording:
- Computer screen capture with voice – Yes
- Share recorded videos with others via a web link – Yes
- Make videos available via Canvas – Yes
- Computer based auto captioning – Yes
Unique features between Kaltura and ZOOM
- ZOOM is primarily used as a live video conference tool that can host many people in real-time. Kaltura does not have a web conference feature.
- Kaltura has robust editing and management features. Zoom has limited editing and management tools.
- Kaltura specializes in video capture from your mobile and desktop computer.
- Kaltura has many integration points within Canvas.
|Computer screen recording||Yes||Yes||link|
|Narrate PowerPoint Recordings||Yes||Yes||link|
|Edit video after recording||Yes||Limited||link|
|Share video with students or others||Yes||Yes||link|
|Has auto captioning||Yes||Yes||link|
|Web Conference with others||No||Yes||link|
|Attach related files||Yes||No||link|
|Instructor, Student & Staff access||Yes||Yes||link|
Videos Tutorials and User Guides :
- Kaltura and Canvas integration overview
- How to embed a Kaltura media in a Canvas course
- How to record your screen and voice using Kaltura “Personal Capture”
- How to create media gallery or playlist in Canvas
- How to edit media using Kaltura online editing tools
- How to share your media with a co-publisher or co-editor
- Kaltura Video Library
- Canvas Kaltura User Guide (PDF):
If you have a question about using Kaltura, please contact Alex.Martinez @ du edu for assistance.