The OTL has pulled together resources, ideas, and best practices about some of the most common teaching topics and methods. If you would like further information or do not find your questions answered here, please contact us.
Designing a course
- Writing learning outcomes
- Creating a syllabus
- Sample syllabus policy statements
- First day of class
- Motivating students to come to class prepared
- Using copyrighted materials in Canvas
- Accessibility and Universal Design for Learning
- General Accessibility Design Guidelines for Canvas Content
- Quality Matters Standards
Engaging with students
- Creating self-directed learners
- Creating an inclusive classroom
- Requests for accommodations
- Mobile devices in the classroom
- The multitasking student
- Teaching international students
- Cross cultural communication tips
- Managing difficult teaching situations
- DU Teaching and Learning Videos
Assessing student learning
Resources will be added to this page periodically. If you would like to see more information about a specific topic, please contact Bridget Arend.
- What DU Instructors Need to Know about Teaching Online
- Teaching Online Workshop
- Traits of the Successful Online Learner
- Online Student Readiness Self-Assessment
- Teaching Online Initiative
Advancing your teaching practice
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Gathering student feedback on teaching
- Teaching websites, conferences, journals
- Evaluating Teaching Excellence Toolkit
- Writing a Philosophy of Teaching
- Creating a Teaching Portfolio
- Magna 20-Minute Mentor Videos and Teaching Professor Newsletter
- Video Recordings from Past DU Teaching Conferences
- Where can I find the Academic Calendar?
- How do I obtain student permission for sharing student work?
- What is PioneerWeb?
- How do I get my DU email? How do I get my DU passcode?
- How do I submit book orders, course packets, or e-reserves?(One-Stop Course Materials Guide)
- What is FERPA? What do I need to know about it?
- What is the typical grading scale used at DU?
- How do I submit grades? How do I change grades?
- Where can I see my student evaluations?
- How do I view the qualitative comments from my end-of-course student evaluations?