Canvas is the University of Denver’s Learning Management System (LMS), providing a secure environment for online, face-to-face, and hybrid courses. Canvas is managed according to the Learning Management System Guidelines.
Login to Canvas with your DU credentials at: http://canvas.du.edu
Canvas Support Hotline (Faculty): call 1+(833) 291-3240
Canvas Support Hotline (Students): call 1+(855) 712-9770
DU – Office of Teaching and Learning: firstname.lastname@example.org
Setting up your Canvas course
To set up your Canvas course, you can start from scratch, import a template, or copy content from a previous course.
If you are going to start from scratch, we encourage you to read about best practices for an online course and use the multi-tool to build modules more efficiently.
To import the OTL Canvas template, follow the step-by-step instructions in this handout. You can also preview the template in the Canvas Commons before importing. Once you import the template in your course, check-out the facilitators resources module to learn more about using the template.
To copy content from a previously taught Canvas course, follow the step-by-step instructions in this Canvas Community Guide. You can adjust due dates as needed for the upcoming quarter.
Minimum requirements for all Canvas courses
To begin, instructors should populate the Syllabus in their Canvas course. Try using Cidi Labs Design Tools Template Blocks to enhance the organization, navigability and accessibility of your Syllabus page. We also encourage you to consider including Covid-19 related accommodations and policies. Check out our Sample Syllabus Statement page for more.
Assignments are another important element in any Canvas course. Any assignments created in the Assignments tool will automatically show up in Grades, Calendar, and the Syllabus Course Summary. All courses are required to have a place for students to submit assignments online. Assignments can be weighted by creating assignment groups.
Modules are another component of course organization that can be set up weekly or thematically depending on your course structure. Modules should include relevant pages, assignments and links to course content. You are required to host content in Canvas which could include handouts, readings and other instructional materials. Link these materials to the appropriate weekly module for easy access.
If your course is meeting synchronously, be sure to set up your recurring Zoom sessions in your Canvas course.
For more information on the minimum requirements for a Canvas course, download our Course Checklist.
DON’T FORGET TO PUBLISH!
Once you get your course set up, you’ll want to make sure you publish your course so students can access it.
Learn about all the Canvas tools
Don’t stop there! Browse the Canvas Instructor Guide to get familiar with all the tools available in Canvas, and then start using the ones that make sense for your course.
Once you have decided which tools you’ll be using in your course, it’s best to hide the tools you’re not using so students only have access to what they need.
Need some additional help?
- The Canvas Community is an incredible resource for answering questions.
- Chat with Canvas Support 24/7 365 days/yr.
- Canvas Support Hotline (Faculty): call 1+(833) 291-3240
- Canvas Support Hotline (Students): call 1+(855) 712-9770
- If you need assistance with something in Canvas that’s specific to your department, contact your unit’s Canvas Administrator.
- For Canvas training, check-out our upcoming sessions of Canvas Coaching or Canvas Office Hours on the OTL Event Calendar.
- Our Canvas articles in the OTL Knowledge Base include more FAQs, tech support, and information on external tools.
- Canvas courses receive updated student and faculty enrollments from our Ellucian®Banner Student Information System every 2 hours from 7am to 11pm daily.
- Access Online Resources for Students for student facing resources.
- For any additional questions, please contact The Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) at: email@example.com
UPCOMING CANVAS TRAINING DATES