Video assignments can be a research intensive, collaborative and highly engaging student activity. The video can demonstrate skills, knowledge and communication strategies. You can find some DU student examples at https://otl.du.edu/knowledgebase/what-are-some-examples-of-video-activities/
- Final videos should be between 2-5 minutes. A high quality 5 minute video can take about 5-10 hours to produce.
- Ensure that the project grade has the appropriate weight.
- Ensure that students keep you updated with their progress, require them to send you frequent project updates to avoid the project being done at the last minute.
- Create a “Group Planning” document for your student groups to help them plan, communicate, and organize. Spanish Skits (http://goo.gl/hvaq4I)
B2B Marketing (https://goo.gl/DsQef7) Why Make B2B Videos?
- For help with video assignments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get answers to your questions and support. We can give your students a workshop and a tour of the Digital Media Center.
- Give your students a few weeks to complete this project. Each week students should submit a progress report to ensure they are on track.
- Create a video group for your class in DU VideoManager to submit and share videos.
- Use a grading rubric below to clearly communicate how this type of project will be graded. Here are some sample grading rubrics:
Science Communication Rubric
Infographic Instructor Grading Rubric
Multimedia Science Activity Rubric
Digital Storytelling Rubric
Digital Video Project Rubric
B2B Marketing Video Rubric
- Tips for students completing video class assignments (PDF)
- Create a “Video Planning” document for your students to help them plan and organize their project.
Spanish Skits (http://goo.gl/hvaq4I)
B2B Marketing (https://goo.gl/DsQef7)
- Take advantage of the DU Digital Media Center; they have friendly staff and cool video software.
- Computer Screen Capture: Jing (Free) and Skitch (Free)
- Prioritize recording high-quality audio. The further the microphone is from your presenter, the worse your audio quality will be. Recording indoor in quiet spaces or adding a voice-over track are the best options for capturing high-quality audio.
- Add images into your project but don’t forget to cite your images.
- Video Software
- iMovie – Mac
- Camtasia Studio – Free 30 day trial for PC and Mac
- ZOOM: Free video conference for all DU staff and students
- PowToon –online animated video software for both Mac and PC
- WeVideo – online video editorMusic tracks sometimes add a nice touch to a video. Here are some websites with affordable royalty-free audio clips:
- Checkout these video production tutorials:
- Define a clear purpose and outcomes for the video .
- Establish teams and assign project roles and responsibilities.
- Research videos online that match your goals and expectations .
- Produce a video that is visually engaging to your audience. Scenes should be changing every 5-10 seconds.
- Create a storyboard , shoot list and script .
- Create a project timeline and video team document to keep you organized.
- Tips for producing class assignment videos, “Before, During and After”.
- Have weekly team meetings. Use ZOOM to have virtual meetings.
Team Roles and Responsibilities
- Producer: Initiates and coordinates meetings and time management; has a high-level view of the project and timelines
- Script Writers: Responsible for creating the storyboard and script
- Researchers: Responsible for researching the topic, fact collecting and citations
- Videographer/Photographers/Audio Technicians: Responsible for video recording and still photos; ensures good lighting and audio quality
- Narrators: Provides audio or video commentary
- Illustrators / graphic artist: Responsible for drawing custom art work
- Video & Audio Editors: Responsible for video and audio editing software; will edit and share revisions with team members
The DU Digital Media Center has professional video and audio software for students. They are located in the Anderson Academic Commons and are normally open when the library is open.