DU will be introducing a new video management system for the entire DU community called Kaltura starting January 2019.
Here are some common questions and answers related to this project.
What is our new enterprise video management system called?
The University has selected a company called Kaltura to be the next campus-wide video management system. Kaltura has a suite of tools related to video creation, capture, uploading, editing, mobile app, captioning, management, lecture capture, sharing and Canvas integration. Here is a list of Kaltura products with a short description:
- Kaltura – Company name
- Kaltura – Canvas Integration: Canvas integration with WYSIWYG editor
- Kaltura – My Media: Your personal collection of all your uploaded videos located in Canvas.
- Kaltura – MyMediaGallery: A gallery of media items specifically related to a Canvas course.
- Kaltura – MediaSpace: Video portal website that supports public and private channels
- Kaltura – CaptureSpace: Computer screen capture and webcam recorder
- Kaltura – Lecture Capture: Classroom hardware to record video in a classroom
- Kaltura – Webcasting: Live video feed for large events
Why is DU moving to Kaltura?
Our TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager servers are nearing “End of Life” which means they are no longer supported. Kaltura is a well established company that has specialized in enterprise video management for over 10 years. Kaltura provides many of the same features that TechSmith Relay and VideoManager provides and in some cases does a much better job.
What are some of the most useful features that Kaltura provides?
- Integration with Canvas to allows instructors and students to upload and manage their course videos.
- Large amount of storage space for video in Canvas.
- Share and co-own videos with your peers.
- Video and audio clipping and trimming tools.
- Automated captions and free online caption editor.
- Robust video management capabilities for sharing and organizing your videos.
Who’s allowed to use it?
Our software license with Kaltura allows the entire DU community to use it. It’s primary use is for education, however, it can support marketing, research, special groups and business operation needs.
Will it work Canvas?
Yes, Kaltura provides Canvas instructors and student many helpful features. Please review this video
Kaltura LMS Video Plugin: Canvas Integration
Will it work outside of Canvas?
Yes, if you have videos outside of academic course work, you can use the Kaltura MediaSpace video portal – https://mediaspace.du.edu/. You can use this video portal for business related or research videos.
Who can help me with Kaltura?
Will my TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager still keep on working?
Yes, TechSmith Relay and DU VideoManager will continue to work until the December 2019. However, no new content will be allowed to be produced in TechSmith Relay or DU VideoManager starting January 2019. All new video content needs to be created in Kaltura or ZOOM.
Will I run out of storage space if I upload several videos into my Canvas My Media folder?
No, Kaltura provides Canvas instructors and students with a generous amount of storage space. You may experience problems uploading large video files if you have a slow Internet connection. We still recommend not uploading files larger than 2 GB, we encourage users to compress their large files before they upload them for a better user experience.
What type of content can be uploaded into Kaltura?
You can upload videos and audio files into Kaltura. You can also upload related media files to your primary video. For example, you can attach a PDF of your research report to your video.
Can I move my content from DU VideoManager and Relay to Kaltura?
Yes, DU VideoManager and TechSmith Relay allow you to download your videos. If you have several videos to transfer, contact us to help you migrate your videos over to Kaltura. After the videos have been moved, you will have to update the video embed code for each video.
How can I login and explore Kaltura?
If you are an active DU community member (instructor, staff or student) you can login via two ways. Kaltura is directly embedded in Canvas so you can access it via your Canvas course. You can also access it via DU VideoCast at http://videocast.du.edu using your DU 87 number and password.
Does Kaltura support captions?
Yes, Kaltura has a built-in caption engine that will index every video that you upload into the system. This computerized caption service is about 80% accurate but Kaltura allows you to edit your video captions. For longer videos, contact our support team to get assistance captioning your videos.
Does Kaltura support other media formats besides video?
Yes, Kaltura allows users to upload video, audio and images. You can also attached related files (PowerPoint, WordDoc and PDF) to a video as a Video Presentation. Click here to learn more about Kaltura Video Lecture Presentation.
What’s the difference between Kaltura and Zoom Cloud Recording?
Common features between Kaltura and Zoom Cloud Recording include:
- Screen capture
- Share videos with others via a link
- Make videos available via Canvas
- Basic captioning
Unique features between Kaltura and Zoom
- Zoom is primarily used as a live video conference tool that can host many people at once. Kaltura does not have a web conference feature.
- Kaltura has robust editing and management features. Zoom has limited editing and management tools.
- Kaltura specializes in video capture from your mobile and desktop computer.
|Features||Kaltura||Zoom Cloud||Learn More|
|Computer screen recording||Yes||Yes||link|
|Narrate PowerPoint Recordings||Yes||Yes||link|
|Edit video after recording||Yes||Limited||link|
|Share video with students or others||Yes||Yes||link|
|Has auto captioning||Yes||Yes||link|
|Web Conference with others||No||Yes||link|
|Attach related files||Yes||No||link|
|Instructor, Student & Staff access||Yes||Yes||link|
If you have a question about using Kaltura, please contact Alex.Martinez@du.edu for assistance.